Supplement to Drew Scott Daniels' resume.
Title: Information Technology Infrastructure
Company: Pollard Banknote Ltd.
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
When: 2011 March to present
Last updated: 2014-04-08
The duties include system and network administration, system development/integration, computer programming and problem resolution.
Providing direct technical and administrative support related to all aspects of company computer systems in a 24 hour high security lottery environment.
Responsible for corporate and departmental computer networks and infrastructure which cover several region in several countries and data centres.
- Planning IP address block allocation and required VLAN separations
- IP networking, including VPN and firewall principles and concepts
- Virtual switch administration
- Ensuring network availability and integrity through preventative maintenance and upgrades
- Maintaining Cisco Routers
- Maintaining firewalls such as Linux iptables functions and rules, Palo Alto Networks firewalls (PAN OS 5.0 and 5.1 on PAN 5020's and PAN 3020's) with application layer filtering also called layer 7
- Maintaining the network routing (layer 3) infrastructure (Palo Alto Networking routers, Linux routers, Cisco routers, HP ProCurve routers and Dell Force10 switch routers)
- Maintaining the network routing (layer 2) infrastructure such as VMWare vSwitches, Linux bridges, HP ProCurve switches (including some PoE, 5400zl's, 4200vl's, 4100gl's, and smaller switches), HP blade switches, Dell blade switches, Dell PowerConnect (some PoE+) switches, Dell/Aruba WiFi access points, Dell Force10 switches, and nTron switches)
- Maintaining the company's network (with failovers), including remote sites (private BGP network within IPsec tunnels)
- System installation, integration and maintenance, primarily with with Linux (mainly CentOS 4 through 6, some Red Hat 7, and Ubuntu) and Sun Solaris Sparc systems. Also some Windows servers (2000, 2003, 2008, 2013) and systems (2000, XP, 7)
- DNS with BIND on Linux
- Email services (Postfix, Sendmail, IMAP) for relaying, filtering, routing and clients
- PKI using SSL (e.g. openssl) and pgp (e.g.'s gpg, gpg4win, PGP Desktop)
- Data centre management and virtualization
- Ensuring system and data availability and integrity through preventative maintenance and upgrades
- Maintaining and developing a Dell Compellent SAN (Storage Area network) using iSCSI
- Maintaining and developing a VMWare ESXi and vSphere environment including vCenter
- Linux Tracking and Monitoring Servers (syslog, snmp, Icinga/Nagios, cacti, netflow, rancid...)
- Blade servers: HP wx series workstation blade, HP BL460c G1 through G8 and Dell M/R 620
- Server chassis: HP c3000/c7000 and Dell m1000e
- Servers from SuperMicro, Sun Microsystem (Sparc), Dell, and IBM
- Specialized systems like Vormetric encryption appliances, Liebert webcards, APC webcards, Avocent KVMs, NetApp NASes and others
- Researched, planned, developed, and rolled out Accellion
- Planned and implemented MySQL 5.0, 5.1 and 5.5 (and Percona variants) with replication. Performed maintenance, optimizations (configuration, query optimization, file systems, OS, hardware...). Acted as a backup DBA fixing replication, restarting failed services, diagnosing performance problems...
- Maintained several NIS installations including ones on Solaris and on Linux for both clients and servers
- Linux/Solaris services such as Samba, winbind, squid, kerberos, Apache, bacula, cups, lpr...
- Scripting and small programs with Posix shell, Bash, Perl 5 and other languages, for internal department use, and for end use of other departments
- Web development with languages like php
- Kickstart scripts for automating various custom CentOS installations
- Levels 1 through 3 support
- Helping users with network access
- Desktop support
- VPN client support
- Communicating and supporting technical requirements with external customer and vendor IT staff
- Working both with a project team and independently
- Formulating and present solutions to new concepts
- Communicating with users, working with projects from conception to implementation, with minimal supervision
- Recommending purchases, providing multiple price quotes, writing supply requisitions, ensuring delivery, and verifying purchases
- Researching, planning and developing into new products and providing management with new ideas of how new products can improve the company's productivity
- Developed documentation and policies for ISO 27001 compliance
- Developed corporate IT policies (e.g. password policy)
- Created power outage and other Disaster Recover (DR) plans
An old job posting for a job in the IT Infrastructure team was archived as
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR (F18-12) at
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20120317170714/http://www.pollardbanknote.com/winnipeg-jobs then later at http://wayback.archive.org/web/20120622055318/http://www.pollardbanknote.com/winnipeg-jobs